Elections to the Council take place every four years, with the next elections being held in 2021.
The Council has two wards - Cornsay and Hamsteels. The Hamsteels ward covers Hamsteels Estate and elects 8 councillors, while Cornsay Village and Cornsay Colliery form the Cornsay ward, electing 3 councillors.
Become a parish councillor...
...if you care about local democracy and want to make a difference to your local area.
What does a parish council do?
- represents the local community
- delivers services within its powers to meet local needs
- works to improve the quality of life in its area
Who can stand as a parish councillor?
Anyone can stand as a candidate provided they meet the qualification requirements (see below).
Do I qualify to stand for election?
- be aged 18 or over
- be a British, Commonwealth Citizen or EU Citizen (who is a registered elector)
- have been resident for 12 months prior to the day of election – either in the parish or within 3 miles of the boundary
- have occupied land or premises for 12 months as owner or tenant – either in the parish or within 3 miles of the boundary
- have had a principal place of work – either in the parish or within 3 miles of the boundary
Am I excluded from standing?
You cannot become a councillor if:
- you hold a paid office with the Council
- you are subject to a bankruptcy restrictions order or an interim order creates disqualification which dates from the judgment or execution and generally ends one year after the relevant order is made
- you have within five years before the election or since election been convicted in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man of any offence and been sentenced to not less than three months imprisonment (whether suspended or not) without the option of a fine (this disqualification begins when the ordinary period for making an appeal is finally dismissed or abandoned or fails for want of prosecution)
How do I stand?
The next election is not due to take place until 2021. In the meantime, it may be possible for the Council to co-opt people as councillors.
If you would like to be considered or need any more information, please contact our Clerk.